The National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE) is a nonprofit organization that provides high-quality assessment products, services, and research for the benefit and protection of the public and the legal profession. We assist state courts and licensing authorities with fulfilling their responsibility to determine minimal competence for entry to the legal profession.
Diversity, fairness, and inclusion are central to NCBE’s mission and to our vision for a competent, ethical, and diverse legal profession. NCBE provides an inclusive and family-friendly environment, flexible schedules, remote work options, and competitive salary and benefits. NCBE’s headquarters is located in Madison, Wisconsin, a vibrant community with excellent municipal services and educational opportunities.
The Editorial Assistant will copyedit and proofread NCBE publications, program materials for educational events, internal reports, and other materials as well as assist in preparing publications for online access. Other duties and responsibilities will include:
- Solicit information from jurisdictions and NCBE’s internal departments to write content for the Bar Examiner magazine's Litigation, News & Events, and Facts & Figures columns; write additional content as needed.
- Assist in preparing publications for online access, including proofing and editing html conversions, assigning topics to Bar Examiner articles, and creating alternative text for graphics to conform to ADA accessibility standards.
- Compose quarterly Bar Examiner newsletters and coordinate email distribution to subscribers upon each issue’s publication.
- Help coordinate Bar Examiner article review process and assist in short- and long-term content planning.
- Obtain exam statistics from jurisdictions following each bar exam administration; maintain pass rate results on NCBE website and assist in publication of statistics.
- Obtain updates from jurisdictions for annual print publication of the Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements; maintain updated information on the Guide’s website throughout the year.
- Assist in updating NCBE website for news and jurisdiction bar admission information.
- Assist in regular website redesigns for NCBE’s websites.
- Assist in mailing of all print publications.
- Maintain Communications Department style guides.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Significant copyediting and proofreading experience.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Must demonstrate mastery of English grammar and usage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and WordPress.
- Experience with legal education or admission to the legal profession a plus.
NCBE promotes fairness, integrity, and best practices in admission to the legal profession for the benefit and protection of the public. We serve admission authorities, courts, the legal education community, and candidates by providing high-quality
- assessment products, services, and research;
- character investigations; and
- informational and educational resources and programs.
NCBE is proud to be an equal employment opportunity organization. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees regardless of their race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, military service, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Please note that applicants may be contacted via email throughout the hiring process. We suggest that you add BambooHR (@bamboohr.com and @app.bamboohr.com) to your Approved/Safe Sender list so that email notifications are delivered to your inbox and not marked as spam.