Hawks Quindel’s Madison office is seeking a Litigation Associate to practice on the firm’s employment and worker’s compensation teams.
This is an excellent opportunity for an attorney with experience or interest in civil litigation on the plaintiff / applicant side.
Under the supervision of the Shareholders, the Associate Attorney will perform legal work for our employment and worker’s compensation areas of practice.
- · Advise clients concerning their legal rights under state and federal anti-discrimination and worker’s compensation laws
- · Analyze fact scenarios to detect violations of the law and assess damages, including review of documents and other information provided by potential new clients
- · Perform legal research using online databases such as LexisNexis as well as written materials
- · Prepare, draft, and review litigation documents such as pleadings, motions, and briefs
- · Prepare and respond to written discovery
- · Conduct depositions and assist other attorneys in preparing for depositions
- · Prepare case and legal strategies
- · Manage various projects and deadlines
- · Negotiate settlements and prepare and review settlement documents
- · Communicate effectively with clients and potential clients
- · Keep abreast of legislative changes that may affect your areas of practice
- · Select jurors, argue motions, meet with judges, and question witnesses during the course of a trial
- · Represent clients in court and before administrative agencies
- · Supervise legal assistants
- · Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an ABA-accredited law school
- · Admitted to practice law in Wisconsin, or eligible to be admitted in short order
- · Minimum of 2 years of experience in the practice of law
- · Experience working in civil litigation
- · Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously within defined timelines and prioritize when necessary
- · Excellent verbal and written communication skills in a variety of settings, particularly in the courtroom, with clients, and in networking settings
- · Ability to explain complex legal concepts to persons outside the legal field
- · Commitment to excellent client service and meeting client expectations in a dynamic, deadline-driven environment
- · Capacity to handle matters independently and also collaboratively with the firm’s shareholders and staff
- · Interest in participating in firm-related events, including social events
- · Ability and willingness to network, write blog posts and generate business
- · Candidates with established referral sources or a full or partial case load in practice areas that are the same as or complement our existing practice areas is preferred but not required
- · Fluency in Spanish is an asset
Please see https://www.hq-law.com/contact/madison-careers/ to submit a resume and cover letter to Sarah Dahl by May 7, 2019
About Hawks Quindel
Hawks Quindel is a Wisconsin law firm representing individuals in employment, wage and hour, consumer, family, disability, workers compensation, social security, and personal injury. Through our Madison, Milwaukee, Eau Claire and Appleton offices, we help individuals prevail in their legal challenges, and we practice throughout the entire state. We focus internally on teamwork and offer a very collegial atmosphere. Our attorneys and support staff take great pride in assisting clients through difficult legal situations.