Wisconsin Historical Foundation
Version Date: April, 2019
Position: Social Media Manager
Reports to: Director of Marketing & Communications
The Wisconsin Historical Foundation is a nonprofit organization which exists to advance the mission of the Wisconsin Historical Society, a state agency which connects people to the past by collecting, preserving and sharing stories.
We believe that increasing the public's knowledge of history has profound societal, cultural and economic benefit.
As our resident social-media expert, the Social Media Manager builds and grows our social-media network and community.
The Social Media Manager works with the marketing team to design comprehensive social-media strategies that allow users to participate in an interactive relationship with the Wisconsin Historical Society. These strategies are integrated into an aggressive, forward-thinking marketing and communications plan, which supports the Society’s goals, including audience growth and better service to the public.
- Develop multi-year social media marketing strategies to:
- Dramatically grow the Society’s social-media user base.
- Increase online sales and drive attendance at the Society’s sites and programs.
- Grow the Society’s membership program.
- Help fulfill the Society’s mission of sharing stories.
- · Manage the Society’s social media marketing strategy through the following responsibilities:
- o On a daily basis, write, create and post engaging, dynamic, accurate, and timely content for all social-media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and YouTube (and additional platforms, as the multi-year strategy is rolled out).
- o Manage annual content calendar that is directly aligned with the key messages developed by the marketing and public-relations team.
- o Lead a cross-functional social media content planning team and work with internal stakeholders to deliver their respective key messages through social media.
- o Develop and manage an internal database that delegates social-media-posting and content-development responsibilities across the Society’s divisions.
- o Manage all social-media ad buying as outlined in the current fiscal-year marketing plan.
- o Regularly analyze social-media effectiveness and make adjustments to the strategies and plans as needed.
- o Ensure the public’s experience with the Society through social media aligns with the organization’s overall goals and vision.
- o Ensure brand and voice consistency throughout all social-media platforms.
- · Help with the development of higher-level marketing strategies to create a better digital user experience, grow the Society’s audience, and market all Society services.
Required Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of social media experience
- 2+ years of marketing experience
- Mastery of major social media platforms
- Expertise in social-media buying best practices
- Experience with social-media listening, reporting, and management tools, such as Crimson Hexagon, HootSuite, TweetDeck, or others.
- Experience strategizing and implementing social-media campaigns
- · Strong copy-writing skills and attention to detail
- · Keen eye for design and ability to evaluate basic layouts and design concepts
- · Ability to work with a variety of data types, including image formats, and programs, including Microsoft Office
- · Ability to work independently on multi-team projects
- Strong written and in-person communication skills
- Preferred: experience with project management, reporting, and finances or budgeting
- Preferred: experience with basic video editing and production
- Strong attention to detail
- Focus on customer and audience
- Ability to function in a team environment and be kind and thoughtful when working with others
- Ability to think strategically and translate vision into action plans
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
This position requires a minimum of an associate’s degree in a field related to marketing, communications, or social media.
This position requires the ability to do one or more of the following throughout the day: frequently remain in a stationary position for long periods of time, move about in an office environment, and operate a computer.
This is a full-time position with an excellent benefits package that includes health insurance. Pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply, please send the following items to Erika Flaherty at email@example.com, or mail them to Wisconsin Historical Foundation, ATTN: Erika Flaherty, 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706.
- § A brief narrative (1 page or less) outlining how your experience and qualifications make you a good fit for this role.
- § A detailed resume.
- § If offered an interview, you will be required to complete a sample project.
Direct inquiries to Erika Flaherty at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 261-9590.
The Wisconsin Historical Foundation, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.